Friday 6 May 2011

I'm studying Shakespeare's Hamlet atm, and the other day in English, my teacher was telling me about how we're meant to both empathise and sympathise with Hamlet. She explained that back in the Elizabethan era, people would go to see the play, and even though they knew it was a tragedy, that the character of which the play is titled would die ie. Hamlet, Othello, Romeo & Juliet etc. She talked about how, even though people knew it was a tragedy when they went in, whilst watching the play they would still have little hope that things would turn out differently. Similar to Titanic, despite our knowledge that Jack is going to die, we hope that he doesn't. This is similar to my state of mind at the moment, even though I know there's no chance for things to get better, there's still that little part of me that hopes it might, despite everything that's happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment